Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Power to the people

On Saturday I moved the generator away from the trailer to a spot over by the pump so we could put water on dirt that will support the concrete slab. Which meant that the trailer would be on batteries for a couple of days. The generator is a 30 year old Honda and weighs about 400 lb. Not easy to move.

I debated getting another generator for the well, borrowing or renting or even buying one. Costco had a 5.5 KW unit for about $895, Honda motor. Then I realized I could move the trailer over by the pump to be by the generator. It is pretty scabby over there though, well slurry hardened on the ground and construction pieces left over from an effort years ago.

I decided to hold off. The power company could come to hook us up any day. The batteries in the trailer were new and fully charged. The electrician came on Sunday night and wired the generator to the well so we had water. It was great not having to wash pots and pans out of a gallon jug.

But I left the furnace on in the trailer and the batteries were about dead that night. And it was very, very cold. The furnace would not fire Monday morning with no power for the fan. The girls were cold. It was cold making breakfast before school. Not more than a peep out of either of them.

I figured we would have to move the trailer, or move over to Jon’s for a few days. I didn’t want to do either. I only have the girls through Friday, when they go back to their mother’s house. I wanted continuity in our first stay on the ridge.

Just before 3 p.m., I was on my way to pick up the twins at school. Four white trucks from Central Electric Co-op were coming up our road, trucks on their way to hook us up to the grid. Power for the well, power for the trailer. No more cans of gas in the back of the Excursion.

No comments: